Today we left early to go to Amsterdam, which meant leaving at 8:15am or so. I didn't sleep in the car on the way there, but I did sleep most of the way back. We went on a boat ride through the canals of the city, and that was really quite cool. The houses are all very narrow but extremely tall. It really is a beautiful place. I expected to smell marijuana everywhere I went, but it really wasn't around as much as I thought it would be. I did know when people around me were smoking it, and there were leaves on a lot of the coffee shop signs, so that was definitely an interesting cultural aspect. We started our visit by going through the Anne Frank House Museum, and it was an incredible experience for me. I had forgotten that they had gone into hiding in Amsterdam, and I'm so glad that I was able to go through the place that kept her safe for a short time. It was erie walking through the same rooms that I know experienced so much fear and sadness, but it was a good reminder of the importance of all life regardless of religion. Tomorrow I will experience German Mass, and in the evening we are planning to go see
Elizabeth with some of Fran's friends.
Me outside The Anne Frank House
(the building to the left with the dark doors)
1 comment:
If I'm not horribly mistaken, humorist David Sedaris very much appreciated the Anne Frank house... as a place he would like to own (he was in the middle of an apartment-hunt at the time). Hey may have been kicked out for trying to re-arrange furniture or something.
Post a Comment