Sunday, January 27, 2008

All productivity is created equal?

Yesterday may not have been productive in the academic sense, but I did accomplish quite a lot of things that needed to be done.

I went to see "Dan in Real Life" at the cinema near our house, and that was an interesting experience. First off, it's quite expensive over here to go to the movies. The food is even more ridiculously priced; the tickets are almost twice as expensive as what I'm used to in Fort Wayne; the children (I do mean children, the kids looked about 12 or so that were at the cinema by themselves) are easily a million times more annoying, and finally, the movies come out a good month or two after they are released in the States. Back to the part about the children; it was utterly ridiculous how badly behaved these kids were. First, they were at the movies without an adult chaperon, and this was a group of about seven twelve year-olds both boys and girls. Secondly, they came into the movie late and made a loud scene when they were finding their seats. I thought that alone was rude enough to constitute good behavior for the rest of the film, but I was horribly mistaken. They continued to talk to one another throughout the entire movie, and Tiff and I were so annoyed by it that we moved to different seats after about twenty minutes of shooting them dirty looks and asking them fairly politely if they could please keep it down. Once we moved we could hear the movie just fine, and it was a fairly good one.

After the movie Tiff and I went to FCH to get some books from the library, and they weren't really open long enough for either of us to accomplish a whole lot of anything. I did get a couple books for my English paper; I'm hoping that they will be legitimate and somehow relate to the topic I'm working on. After the library closed we went to the refectory (cafeteria-type thing) which wasn't open, but we just wanted to sit anyways, so it worked out alright. We sat on some comfy little chairs and planned out our spring break. We have planned some time in Spain, France, Italy, Prague and finally Ireland. If Tiff finds out from her friend in Italy that we can stay with her we will be staying with people we know for the entire trip. It will be incredibly nice to have people around to show us what to see and how to do everything, especially in places where English is not the language of choice. So now we really only have to book our transportation for the trip, and I need to check with some family outside of Paris to see if I can connect with them, and if they would be willing to host us and show us around Paris that would just be another added bonus. Tiff and I are also working on planning a weekend trip to Amsterdam, because she'd really like to go. I also would like to go back, because I'm sure that I didn't see everything in the short day that I was there. Also, I really just liked the city.

So I got a lot of things sorted out that I needed to figure out before too long. I'm hoping that my VISA cards will start working soon so that we can book flights and bus seats to London. My parents are going to be working on that this week, and it's nice to have a good relationship with my parents so that I don't have to worry about anything like this being a huge ordeal for them. I spoke to them on Skype yesterday, and it was really great to see them, but unfortunately I didn't have my camera set up at the time so they couldn't see me. Either way, it's always nice to see them and other pieces of home. I'm looking forward to receiving mail from them this week sometime.

No comments: